Friday, January 1, 2010

Are You Ready for the Big Day?


Are you ready for the big day?

These were the words of a Pampers advertisement we received in the mail the other day. Of course when I read these words, they meant something totally different than the intention of the advertisers.

At many baby showers I have attended, if given the opportunity to share advice to the mom to be, I have shared something like this:



"As you become a mother, you will experience a joy that you never have before. Holding this fully dependent baby, you must be able to FULLY commit this child to the Lord every day placing him/her back into the arms of Jesus knowing that this is His child. He has graciously "lent" this child to you for a time, so it is now your job to do the best that you can to raise this child in the Lord's ways. We should be able to do this with every relationship God graces us with, but having your first child is a type of relationship you have never experienced. It is easy to forget that this child is an undeserved gift from the Lord and how easy it will be to think we know better then God as we raise this fully dependent person. Once we realize that this is God's child FIRST, we can then understand that this child is as fully dependent on God's will as we are. If we can surrender both our life and the child's life to God, what a great perfect place that is to be."

So, am I daily turning my children over to the Lord? Are you?

Let's be honest. This is extremely hard and we all know that if we are a parent. At times, it is a moment by moment thing of turning them over to the Lord. No matter what stage of life they are at. I have learned this as I watch some of my mentors parent their adult children. I think it goes without saying that this is the hardest trial in this area I have ever been in, but it is challenging me by my own words. Am I really letting God do His work? Am I really seeking His will for all four of my children's lives? I wish I could say I was doing this all the time.

Today, I submit myself to You, God. May I be less and You be more - in all of the relationships you have blessed me with. How ever long or short lived they may be.

~ Summer

2 comments:

  1. Summer, I am always blessed by what you & Pastor Rick share on your blog.......may you feel 'caught by His grace' this day as you await the birth of this special gift God has given you for this short while.....

    Praying for you.......

    Polly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer,

    Thank you. I am hurting for you and praying for you. I wish I knew better what to do. I feel overwhelmed when I read your words. You are ministering to me and others in your pain and God is glorified.

    I pray that these are sweet days as you feel your little one move inside of you. I think any time we have with those we love seems to short when it comes to an end. Thank you again for your words and wisdom.

    The Lord Gives and the Lord takes away, Blessed be the name of the Lord.
    I love you my friend.
    Christy

    ReplyDelete