Thursday, October 13, 2011

"I miss him, and this makes me sad"


Words spoken from our 4 year old reminds me that children can have a huge emotional capacity and an understanding of things that oftentimes surprise me. This 2nd anniversary marks the day that our world came crashing down - October 13th, 2009.

A few days ago we took advantage of the beautiful weather and went on a bike ride to what our kids lovingly call, "Michael's Park" - the cemetery where Michael is buried. We sat by his stone for a long while. Lately, when we have visited Michael's grave, Will lays his whole body on top of Michael's stone and puts his head down. I marvel at his level of grief. Maybe because he is doing something physically that I want to do, but don't, for fear of someone seeing me. Oh the complexities of adulthood compared to the simplicity of children.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around time. Has it really been two years? And to Michael, how long has it been? A second? A 1000 years? What's life like up there, son?

In the words of a child, "I miss him, and this makes me sad".

No comments:

Post a Comment