Wednesday, November 11, 2009

On November 9th

Someone asked me a profound question today. As I was telling this stranger about the past month of our lives, she asked me how much longer was this journey going to be. I quickly answered 11 more weeks. Later I was reflecting on how insufficient my answer really was. Eleven more weeks marks the due date and end date of our childs life. However, it does not mark the end of our grieving. Also it does not mark the time of how this life will affect others for Christ for eternity.

Rachel sent me a devotional today that was titled "Where Victory Begins" written by James MacDonald and based off of the following passage from Matthew 26:
"And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will." And he came to the disciples and found them sleeping. And he said to Peter, "So, could you not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." Again, for the second time, he went away and prayed, "My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done."
MacDonald challenges readers to see if they will either embrace or resist Christ in the midst of the trial they are in. Choosing to embrace involves submission to do what is hard but right. Choosing to resist the trial is what MacDonald sees as easier because we allow our pride to get in the way of God's purposes.

Today, I choose to embrace and surrender. I choose to do what is hard in the suffering and grief that we will be facing for a lifetime here on earth. We serve a God that is good. I believe that full heartedly. My prayer is that you too (whoever is reading this) will come to this same knowledge and truth. Obviously we did not choose this trial. I actually do remember praying not too long ago for our faith to be strengthened. What an avenue God chose for us! But my choice to surrender to Him leaves me on the solid foundation of God's unfailing love for us and the victory that I have in His resurrection and life inside me.

- Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment